Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I Live In A Gated Community! (Just not the one I had always envisioned.)

I have a friend who comes by every week or so for a "coffee visit".  Her children are in their 20's now but she is someone I consider to be one of my biggest "mommy allies".  She has been there...done that and shares those stories in hopes that I might avoid some of the obstacles she faced rearing 3 children.  At the very least, her wisdom and experience provides me with a "heads up" on what is to come.  But there are some things that remind us that she raised her children in a very different era than I am.  Hence her comment the first time she came by since the kids starting "movin' & groovin'" around the house.  "Good Heavens, it more secure in here than Fort Knox!" to which I replied, "Ya, I never thought I'd live in a gated community!"

We both bursted out laughing!


This was the starting point for our hour long conversation on how, "She never had, nor needed the many "things" I have to keep her children safe and happy!"  To which I responded: "Ya, but did you ever get to go to the bathroom by yourself?"  Hanging her head down as if bringing back some horrific moments from her past she slowly moved her head side to side and said "No, no I sure didn't!"

Now, I will be the FIRST person to admit that the whole "baby safety/protection" issue has kinda got outta hand...in some instances.  However, car seats and seat belts, well that just makes sense...right?  So do gates. Maybe not FIVE gates but I like the idea and convenience of being able to keep my children safely "confined" to any one area of the house so that I can use the washroom (alone), prepare breakfast/lunch/supper, throw in a load of laundry or to read all the important information in blogs the news in an effort to keep"current" on the worlds issues! LOL 

I have been told on more than one occasion that I have gone a little "overboard" on the installations of gates throughout my home (mostly from my friends who do not have children or who's children are grown).  And while I would LOVE (said in a sarcastic tone) to go in to a debate with each and everyone of them, I am way too busy trying to figure out how to make them "Ave & Bryce Proof". (My 2  little monkeys are already trying and coming darn close to "escaping" but I am confident they will learn to not touch the gates...fingers crossed!! LOL!.) 

Which got me to thinking...maybe I need to invent a "Floor to Ceiling" gate model?  Oh right, that would be called a CAGE and THAT my friends would be going too far...LOL!

Now please join me on a tour of my gated community....

Gate #1- Confinement to the Living Room

Gate #2- Confinement to the Playroom


Gate #2 & Gate #3- Confinement to Kitchen or "No Access" to Front of the House (depending on how you look at it)

Gate #4- No Access to Upstairs
Gate #5- No Access to Stairs (See Gates CAN be used for Safety Purposes)


Yes! Yes I do live in a gated community, just not the one I had always imagined!

6 comments:

  1. I am the biggest fan of security gates EVER. We only have two in our house because it's all on one level and because it's 1930s and every doorway has a door on it, and the door handles are at adult chest height. IKR It's Mummy Warden heaven! I totally get what you mean. And it's hard when people are making fun of your baby jail. I'm the same though - I'd rather go to the loo on my own and keep the kids away from the oven and stairs to the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I always thought those floor to ceiling model gates were called walls or doors....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we do what ever we have to do to keep our sanity...if that means a gated "community" then so be it, right?!?! Ha, love the cage idea!! If only people understood!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me I need to get more gates...the babies are *too* mobile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who IS or who shortly WILL be a proud member of a "Gated Community!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just ordered my "gated community" yesterday and can barely wait for delivery

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...