Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Raising A Child Non-Gender Specific...Not My Proudest Canadian Moment!

Ok, so before you continue reading my "rant", might I suggest you take a peak at the following article regarding a family in...ummm...just say it Ginger...a family from Canada and how they are planning on raising their THIRD child to pick the gender they want to be once they are older...yes, you did read that right!

Call be close-minded, pro gender specific (not pro gender stereotypical), conservative (me...really?!?!) but this makes NO sense to me...NONE!  Some may call this liberal-ahead of our times-only for the "educated-worldly" type parenting...I call it nonsense!!!  I am now going to take a deep breath, calm myself and wait for you to "return"...



 http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/babiespregnancy/babies/article/995112--parents-keep-child-s-gender-secret

 I wasn't overreacting was I?  Ok, maybe a little bit...but please tell me you are as confused as I am about this NEW AGE parenting strategy?!?!?!

I am all for allowing children to express themselves and their own unique personalities in whichever way they feel most comfortable...so if that means that my son wants to play dress-up or Ave wants to get down and dirty, so be it because I don't condone or support male-female stereotypical social-norms. (I actually feel a little uncomfortable for even using "dress-up" and "dirty" to make my point.)  More importantly, I speak out about these preconceived notions and I don’t allow it to determine my children’s actions or behaviors. 

I managed to read through about 5 pages of comments and that gave me a LITTLE more appreciation from where the parents are coming from, based on some of the supportive input from readers, however, I still say that this type of ideology comes with its own judgment and stereotypical foundation.  To suggest that a child would benefit from not having society know their gender in an effort to avoid gender-bias interactions, is giving very little credit to society on a whole.  Yes, most of society does treat and perceive boys and girls differently, there is no denying that.  However, how are we ever to evolve and change these stereotypes if we don't take a clear stand for the very issue at hand...boys can do "girl things" and girls can do "boy things"?  Better yet....children can do all kinda "things” without even labeling it as a "boy" or "girl" activity?

Today is another day and I have actually simmered down since first reading this article. All I can say is that I will try my best to objectively foster the healthy development and individuality of Ave as a girl & Bryce as a boy and I am confident that they will eventually let me know who they are or who they want to be.  I also hope to model how to respectfully challenge and express themselves and their beliefs, thereby, becoming a catalyst of positive change in the world.

3 comments:

  1. They're CRAZY people!

    Ok now that I have that outta my sytem I think those people are the most selfish people on the face of the planet. They are simply using that child to further their own agendas. It's not about what's good for the kid it's about publicity for themselves.

    Yes gender sterotypes suck but what they are doing to their kids will cause those children to be ostrasized and picked on their entire childhood. That is SO not cool!

    *stepping down off my soapbox*
    Great article! Thanks for dropping by my blog and posting my badge. You'll be seeing me around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please stop by and stand on that "soapbox" of yours anytime...thanks for the comment and some validation...I thought I might have been "off the mark" on this one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. As my 3 year old sits on the couch RIGH THIS VERY MOMENT with a pink purse in his lap, I honestly just don't get it. I don't know why what he's doing can't be okay even if we do accept that he's a boy and it's okay to be a BOY who likes purses? I feel like removing gender makes it so that people don't have to accept that some boys like purses and tutus and tiaras and some girls like football and monster trucks. Just erase gender so anything goes? How about just embrace gender and celebrate difference and stop worrying about what other people think of you and your kids?!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...