Monday, July 2, 2012

Parental Travel Consent. Don't leave home without it!

I don't know what it is like in your corner of the world but here in Canada, good luck trying to get out of the Country without a parental travel consent letter.

As I have mentioned, I travel alone with the kids and one of the most important pieces of documentation I always ensure I have is a signed and notarized letter of parental consent from Daddy Dave.  I have been asked for this tiny piece of paper EVERY TIME I have left the country.  I have not yet been asked when traveling within Canada but I still always have it.  Better to be safe than sorry.

I wanted to post the letter we have used since the kids were born and feel free to copy and paste and fill in the details for your family.  We always get it notarized by my husbands company's lawyer but I assume if you had any witness and your significant others contact information (for further verification) it would work too.


To Whom It May Concern:

I, _________________________________ am the father and joint legal guardian of:

Child’s full name
Date of birth:
Place of birth: 
Passport:

AND

Child’s full name:
Date of birth: 
Place of birth: 
Passport:

[Children's Full Names] have my full consent to travel with:

 (A) Their mother, [Parent's Name] to visit [location] during the period of [Dates] During that period [Children's Full Names]   will be residing with [Names of People You Are Staying With] at the following address:  [full address]  Telephone: [phone number]

Note:  If you will be travelling to two or more different locations, add a second paragraph with the above details. 

Any questions regarding this consent letter can be directed to the undersigned at: Address: [Your full home address] Telephone: [Phone number, provide two if possible]


Signature(s):______________________________________ Date:_________________
                        [Full Name]- Father or other relation

Signed before me, _______________________ (name of witness), this _________________
(date) at ___________________________________________ (name of location).

Signature: _____________________________________________ (name of witness)


I just thought I'd share because had my friend Gerri not told me about this requirement before travelling with the kids, I would have been hooped or at the very least extremely stressed!

While some may be annoyed at the inconvenience of this requirement, I personally find great comfort in knowing that my country is making it difficult for ANYONE to leave or come back into with children.  I'm just saying...


Tell me...do your travel alone with your kids?  Do you need parental consent documentation to do so? 
 I would love to know!


1 comment:

  1. I assume that it works both ways, right? If Dave were to take the kiddos on a trip he would need documentation too?

    I think in theory it's a great idea. Has it proven to be effective?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...