Monday, June 17, 2013

Fevers. Hot Days. A MUST HAVE!!!

So, we just got over two kidlets with raging fevers last week and  I am 99.9% sure I would have been in the emergency room without my trusty rusty Arctic Bandannas!  (For my Canadian friends, THESE seem to be the same idea and are available at Home Depot.  I also just got word from a reader that these are available at Mark's Work Wearhouse!)


These things were developed for the outdoor-sie person in mind but I have found a far more useful application for them since we are not outdoor-sie people another way for these things to come in handy...when my kids get fevers.

Along with a strict medication schedule of alternating Tylenol and Advil, I stick these babies around their little necks and switch them off every 15 minutes or so, depending on how "hot" they are running.  I have been constantly able to break a fever in less than 1/2 hour.  Honestly, it's these little inventions that get the fever under control and the meds I give are to make sure IT STAYS under control.

Since hot days are not the "norm" here in Calgary, we haven't had to use them for sun relief but they will be one of the first things packed into our bags when we head to Southern Ontario this summer!!

How do they work?  It's as simple as 1, 2, 3!!!

Step One- Place the Bandanna in a bowl of cold water.  After 15-20 minutes or so, the beads inside will have absorbed the water and it will feel all "jelly-like" and cool to the touch.

It will double in size when it is ready to go!

Step Two- Place around the child's neck and wait for the MAGIC to happen (the magic I speak of is the fever coming down in 15 minutes...{just in case you missed that above}...LOL!).

Step Three- When all the "sickness" has passed, simply let it dry out on the counter and it will return to it's original state!  Repeat as necessary. (I've had this one for 2 years and can;t tell you how many fevers it has soothed!)

Note: In the event you don't own 4 like me, it only takes a minute or two to cool down a Bandanna that is warmed in a cold bowl of water.  

(Hmmmm...I guess I really DON'T need that many!!!)




1 comment:

  1. Marks & home depot eh?! I'll be keeping an eye out for those. Beats tylenol for sure

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...