Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Canada! Let's Eat Poutine!




Now that I have your taste buds attention.  Just out of curiosity, are you thinking "Yummy!" or "Eewwy!"?  LOL

I would like to share some of the reasons why I am proud to be Canadian...Eh!


I have spend a lot of time in the USA.  My parents purchased a home in Florida when I was 8 years old and we spent 2 months of the year there, enjoying the sunny weather while our counterparts froze.  The one thing that I always admired about Americans was there patriotism.  They LOVE the United States of America and rightfully so!  However, I have to say that Canadians, while proud of their "home & native land", they do not always display the same enthusiasm  and dedication to their country. (At least in my opinion.)

But I am proud to be Canadian...very proud!  It would take a great deal of time for me to list all the reasons why I am so proud of my heritage but I would like to list my TOP 5 ALL TIME LOVES OF CANADA.

#5 The Canadian Character- Overall, Canadians are perceived as very friendly, outgoing, polite and humble people.  Now let's be "real"...not every Canadian is but I am proud that on a whole, we are "characterized" as such.

#4 Money- Yes, I am talking about our "funny colored money"!  I am proud of the fact that we thought to make commerce a little easier on ourselves by coloring our cash.  It is impossible to mistake a $20 bill for a $10 bill.  I also love the fact that our country decided to make us "feel" richer by making $1 & $2 coins (know as the Loonie & Toonie...we're real creative too!).  The weight of these coins makes $20.00 feel like a $1,000,000! Ha-Ha!

#3 Health Care- I have a really hard time biting my tongue when my fellow country(wo)men complain about our health care system.  I am proud that we even have a health care system AND that it is affordable for everyone.  It's not perfect but hey, what is??

#2 Multicultural Cohabitation & Peace (mostly)-  Whether it is a false sense or not, I feel peaceful and safe in Canada.  (Not that I feel "in danger" when I go to other countries, well some countries I have.) But for the most part our crime rates are fairly low.  I am happy that we don't feel like we have to carry guns around to "protect ourselves".


#1 Poutine- Properly pronounced (poo-tin) although some may disagree.  Poutine originated in Quebec in the 1950's and has become the Canadian Icon of food.  French fries, cheese curds (not shredded...eeewww) and gravy...don't knock it until you've tried it! It is DE-licious!  It's almost sinful!

Happy Birthday Canada! 
I'm off to get some Poo-Tin to celebrate! Yummy!!

3 comments:

  1. That really does sound amazing! I am one that thinks anything that is covered in gravy has to be good! Ha!

    Please enter my giveaway - I will ship it to Canada!! :):)
    btw- a love the Canadian national anthem! I have to sing along every time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all you support RE: my last post on this n' that...you've never had poutine...oh my! :)

    I entered your giveaway and after some initial confusion...I have my own going on!! Come enter!

    Hope your Friday is going GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to travel to Toronto from time to time for work, so I have some level of familiarity with Poutine. I can't say I've ever tried it, though. I'm not a gravy fan - at all - even though I'm from the south and stereotypically, we smother everything with gravy. HA! Maybe I'll get brave one day, just to say I have eaten it. :)

    One of the things I love most about my time in Canada was being there - twice, it just so happened - for your Veteran's Day (can't remember what you call it exactly)...when folks wear the poppy flower pins. I thought it was so neat that, in the middle of a big meeting, someone interrupted the entire office and read a poem over the intercom. I just felt like the whole country gave pause at that moment.

    Happy Canada Day! :) :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...