Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Most Memorable Christmas Gift I Ever Got...A Balloon!

I am linking up with Mama Kat for her Pretty Much World Famous Writer's Workshop!

Assignment:  Best Gift EVER!

Ok, so it goes WITHOUT saying that the best gift I ever got was my kids but I didn't want to get all mushie and sappy so, I have opted to write about the most MEMORABLE gift I ever got at Christmas...a Balloon!  Yup, you read that correctly.  A WHITE BALLOON.  But it wasn't JUST a balloon...oh no, it sure wasn't!  

Every year, my dad would put a little something special "just from him" under the tree.  (That ended the year he told me my "special gift" was going to be a summers long vacation at a fat camp wellness camp (it's a long story).  No, I never accepted that gift.  Yes, I now wish I had.  LMAO!)   

A few days before Christmas one year, a BIG white balloon appeared under the tree.  I was so puzzled as to what on earth daddy's gift for me that year was.  I must have picked it up a hundred times to try to figure out the contents inside. 

The only clue was the sound of faint "scratching" inside when I would give it a shake.  Adding to the puzzle was how "light" it felt, like NOTHING was in there.  But there had to be, he wouldn't play such a cruel trick on his little girl!  Surely it wasn't something "living and breathing" making that "scratching" noise?  I stopped shaking it because I was worried that maybe my dad didn't know that the puppy I had always wanted wouldn't likely survive a few days inside that balloon but I wanted to give it a "fighting chance" just in case. LOL!

After all our presents had been opened, that Big White Balloon just sat there...taunting me.  My dad knew that I was so desperately wanting to know what was INSIDE.  What WAS the "special gift" he had got me that year?  It was killing me.  He finally picked that balloon up, walked over to me and told me to close my eyes...

POP!

 I nearly jumped out of my seat and as a natural reaction, my eyes flung open and there I sat among 100, one dollar bills.  I am one of the few people in the world (or at least, I think) that knows the greatness of being under a "shower" of Cold Hard Cash! 

I Love You D-A-D-D-Y!

6 comments:

  1. That is so cool! What a great idea!! I'd have loved that too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the balloon idea!

    Now Ginger, you've made us curious about the wellness camp! I want to hear more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a pretty awesome gift idea. What a creative way to give cash as a gift. I'm going to file this one away for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is awesome. Your dad rocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great memory..and a cool gift.. kudo's to Dad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see where you inherited your creativity from!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...